There are a few hockey players I can think of that can honestly say "I was playing NHL hockey in the 90s when most of my current teammates were in elementary school (diapers if you count Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov of the Edmonton Oilers who were both born in 1993 but play with Eric Belanger who was born in 1977 and drafted in 1996) Ray Whitney, Teemu Selanne, Sami Salo and Martin St Louis to name a few have had long careers in the NHL. You know these seasoned veteran players are going to bring a stability and calmness to games. After watching Martin St Louis surpass Sid the Kid in the scoring race Wednesday night it was an obvious choice.
Here are a few reasons why Martin St Louis has Fantasy Friday status!
1) St Louis went undrafted! He was spotted by the Calgary Flames in 1998 and signed a contract with the team then.
2) One of best forwards in the league, St Louis is 5'8" tall. One of the shortest players in the NHL St Louis had to find other ways to stand out other then his size (6'0" seems like the minimum for height in the NHL)and amazingly he has only missed 7 games between the 2000-2012 season!
3) Leadership is something this player has. St Louis is an alternate Captain for Tampa Bay
4) St Louis shoots left and was born June 18th 1975 in Laval, Quebec!
5) In 977 career NHL games St Louis has scored 339 goals and assisted 571 others for 910 points total! Making him just shy of a point a game player! WOW!
6) When Steven Stamkos got his 60 goals in a single season Martin St Louis was literally right behind him feeding him the puck. The chemistry these two have is undeniable. St Louis helped Stamkos out with 13 passes getting the 1st assist but then had the secondary assist 7 times. So Stamkos can thank St Louis 20 times!
7) St Louis is +13 in his career meaning he is on the ice for more goals scored by his team then goals scored against his team.
8) St Louis was on the 2004 Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup winning team! That year alone Martin played all 82 games. Scoring 38 goals and assisting 56 others for 94 points total. In the playoffs Martin played 23 games scoring nine times and assisting 15 others for 24 points for more then a point a game average! This was well before St Louis had his linemate Stamkos. Stamkos wasn't drafted until 2008!
9) 2004 is possibly St Louis best year in the NHL awards wise. Not only did he hoist the Cup but he took home the Art Ross Trophy for most points in a season, he took home the Lester B. Pearson Award for MVP chosen by fellow NHL players, also winning the Hart memorial Trophy for MVP and he was also the assist leader tied with Scott Gomez and the plus/minus leader tied with Marek Malik.
10) After the 2009-2010 AND the 2010-2011 season Martin took home the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy for most gentlemanly player in the league!
11) Married with 3 children St Louis runs a hockey school during his summers in his off season residence of Connecticut.
12) St Louis has donned the Team Canada Jersey 4 times. Once in 2004 as part of the World Cup of Hockey team where Canada won the cup, he was also on the 2006 Olympic Team and won Silver twice at the World Championships in 2008 and 2009.
And there you have it Hockey Fans! All the reasons why Martin St Louis is this week's Fantasy Friday!!
1) Pittsburgh Penguins
2) Boston Bruins
3) Washington Capitals
4) Montreal Canadians
5) Toronto Maple Leafs
6) Ottawa Senators
7) New York Rangers
8) New York Islanders
The last 3 teams all have 54 points so like I say, it is still up in the air who will play who! The western conference isn't set yet. The Columbus Blue Jackets still have a chance. The Minnesota Wild are hanging on to a spot by their teeth and Detroit Red Wings have slid into the 7th seed with a 3 game win streak.
That is all for today Hockey Fans! Have a great day and Happy Hockey!