As well as talkin hockey, I also cook. If any of you don't know, I am a single mum, living in Vancouver, with a hockey crazed son. Since our weekdays are busy, I cook a big pot of soup or lasagna, something to get us threw the week. Here is one of my favourite soup recipes. It is great after a long day, relaxing on the couch watching your favourite team play.
What you will need:
1) one large soup pot 5) Knife
2) Baking Dish 6) Strainer
3) Wooden Spoon 7) Cutting Board
4) Soup Ladle
1) One medium sweet white onion
2) Three carrots
3) Four stalks of celery
4) Four large leafs of kale
5) Four links of any sausage you enjoy (italian and something spice is great)
6) 1-2 cans of beans (depending on how hardy you want the soup)
7) One carton of vegetable stock (946 ml)
8) One small-medium sized butternut squash
9) Salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and paprika to taste
10) Butter or Olive Oil
1) Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
2) Chop onion, carrots and celery. I like to leave my vegetables a little larger in size so they keep their crunch.
3) Turn your element to medium heat and add two tablespoons of butter or olive oil
3) Add onion, carrots and celery to pot and let sweat down until they begin to soften but are still firm. Add a little salt and pepper and stir every couple minutes. Reduce heat once vegetables have softened.
4) Cut butternut squash in half. Score it (cutting lines down the middle) spread a little butter, cinnamon, salt and pepper on the squash. Place in a baking dish and pop into heated oven. Again cook the squash until you can pierce it with a fork and the squash is soft. This can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the squash.
5) Remove sausage from casing and fry in a pan until cooked through and slightly browned.
6) Drain and clean beans.
7) After cleaning the kale tear out the centre spine of the green. Then proceed to tear the kale into bite size pieces.
8) Now add your beans and vegetable broth to the pot with the carrots, celery and onion. Add equal parts water to the soup.
9) When the sausage is done add it to the pot
10) When you squash is done, scoop it out of the skin and toss into the soup. Again cube the squash up in sizes you like.
11) Add salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add garlic powder, paprika and thyme. But any spice you enjoy will do.
12) Finally add the kale and turn soup to a medium high heat until it gets to a slight boil. Serve and Enjoy!
The San Jose Sharks take on the New York Islanders at 4:00pm
The New Jersey Devils battle it out with the Washington Capitals at 4:00pm
The Carolina Hurricane play the New York Rangers at 4:00pm
The Dallas Stars take on the Pittsburgh Penguins at 4:00pm
The Colorado Avalanche and the Ottawa Senators challenge each other at 4:30pm
Original 6 teams the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens play at 4:30pm
And finally the puck drops between the St. Louis Blues and the Los Angeles Kings at 7:30pm