It seems like the frustration of the lockout is fading and #thefans are welcoming back their players.
The puck drops tomorrow 3:00pm EST and thirteen games will be played. It will be a busy busy day. As one game is ending another game will be starting.
There are few things we can also celebrate. Both the Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers have announced new Captains to start the season.
Detroit has made Henrik Zetterberg their Captain after the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom last year. Zetterberg had been an alternate captain for a period of time before be honoured with the "C". What do you need to know about Zetterberg?
1) Zetterberg wears #40 and plays left wing
2) Zetterberg was draft by the Red Wings and has played his entire NHL career with the organization
3) Last season Zetterberg scored 22 goals and 47 assists
4) Zetterberg goes by the nickname Zäta which means "Z" in his native country Sweden!
Below check out a video of Zetterberg doing what he does best: playing hockey and scoring!!
Claude Giroux was named Captain of the Philadelphia Flyers. Like Zetterberg, Giroux had been an alternate Captain for a period of time. What do you need to know about Claude Giroux?
1) Giroux wears the #28 and plays right wing
2) Giroux is the 19th Captain in Flyers history
3) Giroux scored 28 goals and 65 assists for a whooping 93 points in the regular season alone last year and then added 8 goals and 9 assists in the playoffs. Can we say WOW!
4) And finally, kind of a big deal but Giroux was selected as the cover athlete for the NHL 13 video game by EASports!
Below check out what Claude Giroux does extremely well: score goals!
First Jamie Benn has played 3 season in the NHL. In his 1st season he scored 22 goals and assisted 19 others. In his 2nd season Jamie scored 22 goals again but assisted another 34 and in his 3rd season he scored 26 goals and assisted 37 others for 63 points in 71 games. That is almost a point a game! Benn missed 11 games last season due to a leg injury and also right before the ALL STAR game had to get his appendix removed! What do you need to know about Benn?
1) Benn wears the #14 and plays center or wing
2) Jamie's older brother Jordie Benn also plays with Dallas Stars organization. Jordie spent two seasons playing for the Dallas Stars AHL team the Texas Stars and at the end of last year signed a one year contract with the Dallas Stars. Big brother Jordie has been at training camp this week in Dallas while Jamie has been skating in Victoria, British Columbia with the Victoria Royals.
3) It is a family affair. True story: for every hockey game Jamie and Jordie's sister Jenny Benn was dragged to the boys had to sit through a full weekend of dance recitals growing up annually. How do I know this? I grew up dancing with Jenny Benn. I can probably guess Jamie had about as much fun as my brother Dane had. At least Jamie and Dane could talk hockey during the intermissions.
4) And finally, my prediction is that there is a good chance we will see Jamie Benn wear a Team Canada jersey at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Benn won Gold with Team Canada at the World Juniors in 2009 and represented Canada this passed Spring at the 2012 IIHF World Championships.
Below you can watch one of the best goals from last season. Jamie Benn literally dances around not one for FIVE Columbus Blue Jackets and scores a goal!!